Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Lisa Ferrero Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Today on Instagram, Natalie Gulbis shared the news of Lisa Ferrero's breast cancer diagnosis with the following message:

"Found out my fellow LPGA player Lisa Ferraro has breast cancer at 31!! She had the cancer got over a year before knowing. 31!! My age so today I am getting a mammogram TODAY!! and encouraging young women to get them too. I started getting mamo at 25. please keep Lisa in your hearts, thoughts and prayers during this Time."

I know Instragram is not the best place to go for breaking news, but her messages did get retweeted by several members of the LPGA Tour, including Paula Creamers, so without any other sites reporting it, I am going to take this as factual. After all, Natalie Gulbis would have no reason to lie about such a thing.

My thoughts go out to Ms. Ferrero and her family at this time.  I lost a grandmother to cancer, so I know the devastating effects of it. Hopefully Ms. Ferrero is on track to make a full recovery. After seeing Jarrod Lyle return to golf after being out for over a year with leukemia, I know that anything is possible.

Natalie Gulbis' message showed how much of a shock this is to many players, and if there is one positive that can be taken out of that, it is the awareness of getting tested early. Cancer effects everyone, including the healthiest, most athletic of the world. 

Go get 'em, Lisa! We're all pulling for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment