Saturday, February 22, 2014

News Grab-Bag: 2/24/2014

- Two pieces of health news from the PGA Tour. First, best wishes go out to former PGA Champion Shaun Micheel, who is undergoing procedures to take care of a blockage in his heart. I still remember the iron shot he hit on the 18th in the 2003 PGA Championship to be the most unlikely major champion in history. I hope Shaun gets this whole thing taken care of without any problems.

- Also, we learned that three time major champion Padraig Harrington underwent a procedure to take care of skin cancer on his face. Padraig's is actually an inspiring case, because he works in a profession where is he out in the sun for many hours, and the risk of skin cancer is high. Hopefully Padraig's revelation will get others to take the necessary precautions. 

- I would like to wish a happy 26th birthday to the great golf blogger of all time and the man who has inspired a generation - me.

- I was incredibly concerned about the Match Play, more specifically my interest in the tournament when all the big names passed on the event and the top seeds lost in the first two days. Seeing the remaining names, though - including Ernie Els and Jason Day - has kept me interested. I will say, though - I will be happy when this tournament leaves Dove Mountain. I didn't realize how bad this golf course was until I watched some of this coverage. Now I see why players don't care to play there.

- I was so busy last week that I was unable to do a preview of the LPGA Tour event in Thailand, but I am glad to hear that they are able to participate in this event without having to worry for their safety. It would have been a shame to see the event leave Thailand, but the safety and security of the Tour pros and their guests needs to be the number one priority. The event seems to have gone without a hitch, which is a great sign. Hopefully there is no malaria outbreak like we saw last year. Still think I'd brave revolution and malaria before I'd play at Dove Mountain, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment