Monday, April 28, 2014

"Give Them The Opportunity To Fail"

In my recap of the first LPGA event of the year, I talked about Lydia Ko and how she "needs to be given the opportunity to fail before she can become the face of the sport". One of my readers from New Zealand pointed this quote out to me and then pointed to her Ko's stats this year: Rolex Number 2, a victory each year since 2012, and zero missed cuts. Of course, this is supposed to make me look foolish in retrospect, correct?

The fact is, my main point remains. While Ko hasn't had a "failure" of a season, she did have the opportunity to win the second event of the season until a final round 73 kept her from closing the deal. Almost instantly, several writers were saying that this was Ko's "young nerves" and that she "ran into Hall of Famers and faltered", things of that nature. This was followed up after The Masters when, after Jordan Speith came agonizing close to becoming the youngest player to ever wear the green jacket, the question of whether Jordan "needs to win a major soon" in order to validate his successes cropped up.

What Ko and Speith and Lexi Thompson have done is spoiled us. They've been so great at such a young age that we expect them to take over their respected tours without getting an opportunity to develop. It's what crippled Michelle Wie until recently. With all the hype surrounding Wie, she was expected to have great rounds every time she tee'd it up, to the point when every good round was shrugged off, and every bad round was magnified. If a 17 year old Wie was in contention and wasn't able to close the deal, questions of whether or not she should change her caddie or her swing coach, or if playing with the men was a mistake, or if she was too much hype and was paid too much, etc. began to crop up. It crippled her development as a player.

Say Ko doesn't win a major until she's 20 (I don't think that will happen, but let's hypothesize). How many golf writers would be deem her a "bust", saying that she wasn't able to "cash in on her promise"? My point in allowing these players the opportunity to fail is just allowing patience with those who aren't even old enough to drink. Nobody is great every week for their entire career. If Ko misses the next four cuts, it doesn't make this season any less spectacular.

4 comments:

  1. That's a fine analogy of your comment. It's so true "the higher you keep raising the bar the further you have to fall". In the history of the LPGA Lydia is also in unchartered waters. I also hope if or when she does falter she is not crucified by the media but so far in her short career there has been nothing to suggest that will happen. I am sure everyone realises sooner or later she will miss a cut or two and her final round will not always be her best but as you kind of point out the word "fail" is very subjective.
    I apologize if you thought I was trying to make you look foolish but in light of Lydia's career so far I was just after some justification or clarification for some of your earlier comments. You have answered them just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good. It was something that needed exploring anyway, in light of Lexi and Lydia's recent victories. Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  2. Believe me Anthony I give you and other bloggers far more credibility to your opinions and analysis than most of the robots on the commercial sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually happy to have this kind of banter on my site. It at least lets me know that someone is reading. I'm always willing to discuss golf, especially if someone has a differing opinion than mine.

      Delete