Saturday, June 14, 2014

News Grab-Bag: 6/14/2014

- Are you ready for the World Cup? Mika Miyazato is. In fact, I'm not much of a soccer/football fan, but I try to watch as much of the World Cup as I possibly can (and with the US Open being a run away at the moment, it might be more than I originally planned). International competitions are awesome, and I encourage you to watch!

- A huge congratulations to Laura Davies...or should I say, Dame Laura Davies. Davies made a Dame in the Queen's Birthday Honours List. I'll be honest, my simple American brain doesn't quite understand the process of becoming a Dame or a Sir, but I do know that it's a huge deal, not just got Davies herself, but for all of women's golf. Davies has certainly earned this title. I wonder if that means the players will be forced to go easier on her during their annual football match at the Evian.

- There was a strange incident at the US Open where Hunter Mahan and Jamie Donaldson hit the wrong ball while playing together. Hunter Mahan's caddie explains the situation in full detail, but I must say I have never heard of such a thing...outside of a weekend round of golf with my grandfather. Because of Mahan's two stroke penalty, he missed the cut, which ended up being at +5. I'm sure this is something they'll sit back and laugh about at a later time, but right now, Mahan's caddie has to feel absolutely awful.

- Phil Mickelson has been cleared by federal investigators in any wrongdoing in regards to insider trading, which is exactly what I expected in the first place. If Phil truly did anything wrong, they would have figured it out sooner than two years. Being cleared hasn't helped Phil's performance at Pinehurst, but at least we can move on from that topic now.

- Congratulations to Inbee Park, who was named by Business Insider as one of the "30 Women Who Are Changing The World." Inbee Park came in at number 10, above several other athletes, including Serena Williams and Brittney Griner. Even more impressive? She ranked above the president of her own country.

- The LPGA has a fantastic article about Chinese golfers Shanshan Feng and Xi Yu Lin. The story about how these two intertwine in a country of over two billion people is absolutely amazing. Check it out! If you're a casual golf observer, you may want to read up a bit on Shanshan Feng, because I have the feeling you're going to hear quite a bit about her in the next couple of months.

- One of three things is going to happen at the US Open this weekend. 1) Martin Kaymer is going to take his large lead and absolutely destroy the field. 2) Kaymer will start playing it safe, it will look closer than it is in the end, but Kaymer still walks away with the trophy. 3) Kaymer completely collapses and is talked about in the same light as Greg Norman and Dustin Johnson. Honestly, I have no idea which way to lean. He seems like the kind that will run away with it, but Kaymer almost gave away his large lead at the Players, and this course should harden up and make things more difficult. If he had this same lead going into Sunday, it would b far easier to predict.

No comments:

Post a Comment