Thursday, September 18, 2014

2013-2014 PGA Tour Year End Awards

Looking back on the review I wrote up on Monday, I realize I didn't put nearly as much into the Tour Championship as the rest of the golf writers. It's not that I wasn't interested in the Tour Championship - I absolutely was, until Sunday, when it looked obvious that Horschel was walking away with it. The problem was two fold - one, the tournament fell the same week as the Evian Championship, which was captivating and saw the birth of a superstar, and two, it came at the end of what seemed like a never ending playoffs where the same players seemed to contend each week. Horschel, McIlroy, Kirk, Furyk...it seemed like I was watching the same tournament three weeks in a row. I understand that a lot was on the line, but there's only so much I could take before I got burnt out.

Either way, the season is now over, and the finalists for the various awards have been announced. I am not the kind of person that stays within the confines of predetermined nominees, so I am here to give you the TRUE winners of various awards. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

The First Annual PGA Tour LLLLet's Win Awards!
My PGA Tour Year End Awards


Player Of The Year: Rory McIlroy 
- This is a no brainer. If a player won four tournaments this season, I would have considered them, but not only did Rory win the most tournaments this season, but he also won two majors. He also happened to be the most consistent player this year, notching 12 top 10 finishes in 17 events. 


Rookie Of The Year: Brooks Koepka
- Secured his 2015 Tour card based on his finishes this season, which included a T4 finish at the US Open, while playing both in the US and in Europe. A few writers actually advocated for Koepka to be picked for the Ryder Cup. I don't know if I agree with that sentiment, but with the lack of any real break out performer among this year's rookie class, Koepka was the most note worthy, so they should just give it to him.


Comeback Player Of The Year: J.B. Holmes
- A lot of players have back and knee surgeries that they never recover from. Holmes had BRAIN surgery. That's surgery...of the BRAIN! And he comes back to win the Wells Fargo Championship and make it all the way to the BMW Championship in the FedEx Cup playoffs. Martin Kaymer may have won a major and the Players after struggling, but that was someone who was on the Ryder Cup team two years ago, and had no notable injuries to think of. Holmes' career could have been over, and yet he comes back to win again.


Biggest Disappointment: Phil Mickelson
- I know Tiger Woods had a lost season, but he was injured. Lefty won a major last year. This was supposed to be the year he completes the Grand Slam, and yet he only notches one top 10 the entire year. We went from wondering if Phil could win 60 tournaments to wondering if he'll ever win again. Do I think Phil is completely done being a top player on Tour? No. But, as Rory pointed out, he is on his last few holes, so he will need a big year next year. 


Tournament Of The Year (Non-Major): Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial
- Adam Scott, fresh off of taking over as world number one, takes on PGA Champion Jason Dufner with a host of other players within a few shots all looking to be a part of the playoff. Historic course with some great golfers. A lot of great tournaments happened this year, but this one really sticks in my mind. 


PGA Tour Specific Post Of The Year: This One

No comments:

Post a Comment